Oh well….another 3 this week…not bad. All 3 are some of the ones that I have been waiting for. BUT there are a
couple, few, several..ok there are lots that I still sit, anxiously awaiting, to see if those kind blogging buddies will be hosting the same challenges this year. However, with that comes a problem, while I stalk A Novel Challenge, I find so many cute buttons, that I just can’t say no to. Yes I am addicted to challenge buttons too. This week, I signed up for the following, bringing the semi total up to 10:
2011 was the first time participating and I had so much fun with it that I was hoping it would be a challenge for 2012…YAY!!!!!
I credit this challenge with being one of the prime reasons for my becoming a blogger, so I am thrilled to be its new host.
Here’s How It Works
Between January 1 and December 31, 2012, read one book in each of the following categories:
- A book with a topographical feature (land formation) in the title: Black Hills, Purgatory Ridge, Emily of Deep Valley
- A book with something you’d see in the sky in the title: Moon Called, Seeing Stars, Cloud Atlas
- A book with a creepy crawly in the title: Little Bee, Spider Bones, The Witches of Worm
- A book with a type of house in the title: The Glass Castle, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest, Ape House
- A book with something you’d carry in your pocket, purse, or backpack in the title: Sarah’s Key, The Scarlet Letter, Devlin Diary
- A book with a something you’d find on a calendar in the title: Day of the Jackal, Elegy for April, Freaky Friday, Year of Magical Thinking
The book titles are just suggestions, you can read whatever book you want to fit the category.
Other Things to Know
- Books may be any form (audio, print, e-book).
- Books may overlap other challenges.
- Books may not overlap categories; you need a different book for each category.
- Creativity for matching the categories is not only allowed but encouraged.
- You do not have to make a list of books before hand.
- You do not have to read through the categories in any particular order.
On January 1, I’ll publish 7 posts, each with a Mr. Linky (one for each category and one for your wrap-up post), on this blog so you’ll have a place post links to your reviews (bloggers) or leave comments (non-bloggers) as you finish up each category. You’ll be able to find these posts during the year by clicking on the button in the sidebar. (I’ll create those links on January 1.)
Tip: If you’re ever struggling to find a title to match a category, check out what other people have read so you can get ideas or be inspired. And remember to be creative.
To join in, sign up with Mr. Linky below. If you aren’t a blogger, just add a comment. If Mr. Linky ever disappears, either try again later or click on Email Icon in the side bar and send me your information, and I’ll add the link myself.
To use Mr. Linky: put your name or your blog’s name in the top box and the URL (web address) of your blog in the bottom box. If you don’t have a blog, use your tumblr account, your Facebook page or simply mention your intent to join the challenge in the comments.
Thanks to @DogEaredCopy, @marny_h96, @Zetablue, and @SuziQoregon for suggestions for, inspiration for, and confirmation of this year’s categories. Feel free to suggest ideas for 2013 in the comments.
Off The Shelf 2012
What It’s All About
- The Main Rule: Do not include books acquired during 2012, it defeats the purpose, read those books from before 2012 started!
- Running Dates: 1st of January – 31st of December 2012
- When Can I Sign Up: All the way up to the last two weeks of December!
- Crossover Genres: Anything! The name of the game is to turn those unread books into read ones.
- Mr Linky: To use the Mr Linky you’ll need to click on the graphic then enter your link. These will be updated and posted into this page every couple of weeks or so.
- Further Details: Crossover challenges are fine, you can change levels at any time, this is eBook, short story, and graphic novel friendly, and you don’t need a blog to join in (read further for details).
The How To
- Choose Your Level:These are listed further down and you can change levels at any time.
- Grab The Badge: Place it somewhere on your blog, profile, or in a signature where possible and link back (main page or this page, it’s up to you).
- Sign Up Post: Create a post on your blog, in a group, or on a forum (only if allowed) to let others see what you’re aiming for (a predefined list of books is optional).
- Link Up: Grab the direct URL to your sign up post, not your blog, click the Mr Linky graphic and enter your link!
- Blogless? Don’t worry, you can sign up with your social network profile (YouTube, Twitter, GoodReads, Shelfari included), just make sure you link to your review list, shelf, tweet, or category. If you don’t have any of those feel free to comment!
- Your Reviews: Reviewing is optional! But if you do review we’d love for you to share them by submitting them on the Review Page (including social networks).
- Finished: When you’re done it’s completion post time and you can share these on the Completion Post page!
- Tempted– Choose 5 books to read
- Trying – Choose 15 books to read
- Making A Dint – Choose 30 books to read
- On A Roll – Choose 50 books to read
- Flying Off – Choose 75 books to read
- Hoarder – Choose between 76-135 books to read
- Buried – Choose between 136-200 books to read
- World: Choose a country as your theme, reading only books from that country or where it’s the setting. For how high you go you can choose more than one country;
- Level Tempted and Trying: Choose one country
- Level Making a Dint and On A Roll: Choose two countries
- Level Flying Off to end of Hoarder: Choose three countries
- Level Buried: Choose four countries.
- Gender Battle: Read books only by female or male authors. Another alternative is to read equal amounts of both.
I do have a question. I found these 2 challenges on someone’s blog before seeing it on A Novel Challenge. Eventually one of them did surface. I was wondering is there another site where challenges are listed? Am I missing out on something? How did you do this week? Were you able to say NO to some of those cute buttons?
As bloggers we are all on timetables to read books, get reviews posted, host giveaways, etc.
But we also travel around to other blogs and see books we would just like to read because of their recommendation or the cover or title catches our interest. The Meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey “It’s Monday! What Are You Reading?” adds more books to my Wish List and To-Be-Read pile every week.
As followers you get our recommendations, win books from us, pick up books at the library or buy them at a store.
But our lives are so busy these books sometimes sit in our To-Be-Read piles for months or even years.
encourage you to read some of those books.
12 books in 12 months.
This year this challenge will be set up as a group on Good Reads. If you are not a member it is very easy to join. There are many benefits other than this challenge, you can keep track of the books you read and get great recommendations from other members too. Just go here http://www.goodreads.com/ to sign up.
This group will close to new members on January 31, 2012.
Just start a thread, WITH YOUR NAME AS THE TOPIC OF YOUR ORIGINAL POST. Select the proper folder using your first initial.
Then copy and paste this:
I am committing to read just one book for fun each month!
There will be no forms to fill out each month. You just need to go back to your original post on GoodReads, and edit it each month to add the book you read plus the author next to each month. Please add a link to the book you read if you would like. This way you are in charge of your own recordkeeping and can check where you are in the challenge anytime you wish.
Bloggers: Please grab the button and put it on your blog to show your participation and provide a link back so others can join. I hope you will write a post telling about your involvement in the challenge and invite you followers to join and participate! Bloggers if you feel compelled to review the book you can but it is not required. You may want to list what books you have read under the button on your blog.
Read 1, yes, just 1 book for fun each month.
All book formats are allowed, printed, audio, e-book.
JUST FOR FUN!
Everyone that completes the Challenge, 12 books in 12 months will be entered in a drawing for a $25 dollar Amazon.com Gift Certificate or $25 at The Book Depository for International Participants.
Last year I really hampered myself by using the books I read JUST FOR FUN as a prize. I found myself putting so much thought into my choices like: Is it the first in a series?, Will other people like this?, that I found I wasn’t reading the books I really wanted to read JUST FOR FUN, like some of my favorite series books that I didn’t want to part with. So my books will not be a prize in 2012.
Instead I will add another $10 Gift Certificate from Amazon.com or The Book Depository as a 2nd prize.
More prizes may be added depending on the number of participants.
You can only add one book to your list per month.
I hope you enjoy this challenge and
hope I help you clear at least 12 books from the rising stacks.
There will also be extra giveaways only for JUST FOR FUN CHALLENGE MEMBERS throughout the year!
You can enter anytime between now and January 31, 2012.
There will still be a JUST FOR FUN page here too for reminders and special announcements.
Just For Fun!!!